Tuesday, January 12, 2010

You won't relent until You have it all. My heart is Yours.

This morning I went to something at First Assembly (my church here in Gainesville) called Encounter which is basically a prayer-type setting where you come and meet with God from 6-8am on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings (geared toward college students). Driving there, I was super excited. Two other friends decided to come with and for some reason, despite it being super dark and super early and super cold, I was really really excited to go encounter God! The night before I had gone to my first BigGroup, which is like a gathering of all the college small groups for worship and a message. Man, that was A-MA-ZING! I was still really on fire from the that night. A song played called "You Won't Relent"(by Misty Edwards...check it out if you can!) and that really touched my heart. It goes "You won't relent until You have it all; my heart is Yours" and basically what I got from this is that God will not stop pursuing us until He's got ALL of us. He doesn't just want 98% percent of our hearts and lives. He wants all of it! That means your future, including your future plans, spouse, where you're going to live, etc. But that also means your "right now," what you will do TODAY, who you will meet, where you will go, how you will speak, how you will act. I feel that recently I am constantly reminded of the verses "Give thanks in all circumstances" and "Do everything without arguing and complaining." Let me just tell you right now...easier said than done! In fact, when I met up with my boss yesterday, I think I complained to her for about 20 straight minutes about all that was going wrong in my life. All the while, my mind is reeling "Give thanks in all circumstances." And then it hits me today, THAT is God pursuing me! Instead of complaining about how sleepy and "unproductive" I've been these past few days, maybe I should give thanks for even having a bed to sleep in and a warm room and the fact that I'm at a university getting my education basically for free because by His grace, I've gotten scholarships!

Anyway, back to my initial point, God wants everything...He won't relent until He has it all. Isn't that just so comforting to think that even when we give Him 50, 10, or even 99%, He is still vying to reach that 100% mark with YOU, with US?! You may think, "Man, Lord, what have I done to deserve this?" And the answer is...nothing. You have, in fact, done nothing to deserve His love and never will be able to. It is only through Christ, through the blood He spilled on the cross, that we are even deemed worthy. I don't know about you, but it is so comforting to know that that burden did not fall on me, that God is not asking me to get myself right and clean and sin-free before I come to Him. And despite all my junk, despite my often times "half-hearted" faith, despite my attitude, despite my gross and mean and conniving thoughts, He still is pursuing me. Amen!?

One last thing: while I was at Encounter, while music played in the dimly lit santuary, with my journal out, I started writing and just asking God...what does it even look like to follow You!? What does a prayer life look like? What does worship mean? I was stumped and to tell you the truth, I was kinda freaking out because no answers were coming to mind. Then, I thought back to all I've been taught via sermons or other Christians speaking that I've heard and this came to mind..."Look in the Word." We all know the song "The B-I-B-L-E. Yes, that's the book for me! I stand upon the Word of God. The B-I-B-L-E. Bible!" But what does this song really mean!? Obviously, in this life, we need something to stand on, right!? And if it's not the Bible, then what is it...perhaps, on a degree, a GPA, a hope of getting married, a hope of being a mother someday, a relationship, or anything else? So, still stumped, I decided to look into the Word, the thing I claim to stand upon, but often do not because I get distracted by any and everything else in this world. I flipped to Deuteronomy. Old school, I know, but George had spoken from it the night before. I scanned down to chapter 30 and the word "circumcise" caught my eye. For some reason, my eyes like to rest on weird words like that. Lol. Anyway, what it said both hit me hard, yet left me enlightened, if that makes any sense at all. It said, "The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live. " (That's verse 6 by the way if you ever want to check it out). Man, I had to let that marinate for a second. Then, I read it again. "You mean God will circumcise my heart!?" That's kind of weird to think about but to me, it meant that He'll trim the fat. That He will cut off the excess, the infatuation with being married or where I will be for grad school or even the details that I obsess about like my neverending "to-do" list. He will cut those things out of my heart...so that I will LOVE Him with ALL my HEART and with ALL my SOUL! WOW! Is that not great news!? In essence, He will give me the ability to love Him. Why do I sit and work myself into a frenzy of what I am supposed to be "doing"?! He said in His pure and holy and righteous Word that He will circumcise my heart, that He will set my heart in a place to where I can love Him with all my HEART AND SOUL! And what do I say to this? GREAT! 'Cuz I had no idea how I was going to do that!

So, with that said, let God circumcise your heart. Let Him cut out all the junk that's hindering you from loving Him fully. He won't relent until He has it all; our hearts are HIS!

Amen!?

9 comments:

  1. A to the MEN, jelly B. This was good for me to read. I need to be constantly reminded that God is not gonna be finished with me til He has all of me.
    And I think even further than what you already pointed out, it's awesome that the last phrase of the verse is "and LIVE," or in other versions, "so you may LIVE."
    So the callouses or "fat" around our hearts keeps us from loving Him, which keeps us from actually LIVING! To fully love Him IS to live...Crazy....
    Well, I wanna live...guess it's time for some lipo or something! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Akeeeeeeelah! You know...i'm now over 100 miles away from your...but I feel like our weekly discipleship meetings can still continue because of this blog. Thank you so much for posting what's on your heart. This idea of giving our everything to our Lord has been prodding my heart big time. The idea of circumcision is probably not the easiest. Not only is it scary, it is PAINFUL. Not that I have any experience at all :) but, if you think about when God first gave the command for circumcision...grown men were included! Dang...especially in a day where there was no anesthetic. However, God requires this process of "cutting out the fat" to require some pain...but for an even greater reward!

    I love you girl, keep writing. I'm all ears/eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw!!! What a delight!? Two of my fav peeps commented. I really appreciate it guys! And I'm really excited about where God is going to take this blog. =) Love u guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your blogsite with me, Akeelah. I am so inspired by your thoughts and look forward to future posts. I surely know God has His work cut out in pursuing all of me - not because I don't want to give Him everything, it's just that life gets in the way. It is so encouraging to know He will not let go. In John 10:28, Jesus says "My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand." It doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really challenging for me, sis - thank you for sharing it. It's true that God cares so much more about the position of our hearts than about the actual process of life. I mean, all our actions flow from our hearts - which must be all his.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "trimming of the fat" really spoke to me. As we all know "fat" can get in the way. For some of us that can be a very, very long process. I pray that my process is quick. I too like Lindsay want to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keelah, thanks for sharing your blog with me. I loved your comments and your friends comments. My thoughts about circumcision are on the lines of an outward sign of an inward expression, like baptism, showing you belonged to God and it was a commandment for every male in the household, free, slave, etc. So I feel that we as human beings we have an issue with obedience and thank God he is a loving, caring, merciful God and his grace and mercy is ours. My prayer is that he continues to change my heart to be 100 percent obedient. Thanks for helping me look deep within.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost a year later and yet this is exactly what I needed. I have been so lost and confused as to how i can make myself become who God needs me to be. I so often feel like Paul in Romans 7:15 when he says "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Thus I often feel like I'm the worst believer on the planet. But this, along with so many other of my complexes and issues, are apart of all the fat I need trimmed right off. Okay Lord, don't know if I'm ready or not, but please...circumcise my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7 years later this hit me powerfully.

    ReplyDelete